World Library  

Other People Who Read The Point of View Also Read

• Cover Image

On Dreams

By: Aristotle

WE must, in the next place, investigate the subject of the dream, and first inquire to which of the faculties of the soul it presents itself, i.e. whether the affection is one which pertains to the faculty of intelligence or to that of sense-perception; for these are the only faculties within us by which we acquire knowledge.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Wrong Box

By: Robert Louis Stevenson

Excerpt: Chapter 1. In Which Morris Suspects How very little does the amateur, dwelling at home at ease, comprehend the labours and perils of the author, and, when he smilingly skims the surface of a work of fiction, how little does he consider the hours of toil, consultation of authorities, researches in the Bodleian, correspondence with learned and illegible Germans ? in one word, the vast scaffolding that was first built up and then knocked down, to while away an hour...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Accessory before the Fact

By: Algernon Henry Blackwood

At the moorland cross-roads Martin stood examining the sign-post for several minutes in some bewilderment. The names on the four arms were not what he expected, distances were not given, and his map, he concluded with impatience, must be hopelessly out of date. Spreading it against the post, he stooped to study it more closely. The wind blew the corners flapping against his face. The small print was almost indecipherable in the fading light. It appeared, however—as well ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Last of the Foresters

By: John Esten Cooke

Preface: Perhaps this story scarcely needs a Preface, but the child of the writer?s invention comes to possess a place in his affections, and he is reluctant to send it forth into the wide world, without something in the nature of a letter of introduction, asking for it a kindly and charitable reception. It would be unjust to apply to this volume the tests which are brought to bear upon an elaborate romance. In his narrative of the adventures of Verty and Redbud, the wri...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Belted Seas

By: Arthur Colton

Excerpt: Chapter 1. PEMBERTON?S. The clock struck one. It was the tall standing clock in the front room of Pemberton?s Hotel, and Pemberton?s stands by the highway that runs by the coast of Long Island Sound. It is near the western edge of the village of Greenough, the gilt cupola of whose eminent steeple is noted by far?passing ships. On the beach are flimsy summer cottages, and hard beside them is the old harbour, guarded by its stone pier. Whalers and merchantmen used...

Read More
  • Cover Image

On Prayer

By: Tertullian, Christian Theologian of Carthage

Excerpt: We must be free likewise from all mental perturbation.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Sense and Sensibility

By: Jane Austen

Excerpt: THE family of Dashwood had long been settled in Sussex. Their estate was large, and their residence was at Norland Park, in the centre of their property, where, for many generations, they had lived in so respectable a manner as to engage the general good opinion of their surrounding acquaintance. The late owner of this estate was a single man, who lived to a very advanced age, and who for many years of his life, had a constant companion and housekeeper in his si...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The River Scamander and Other

By: Jean de la Fontaine

I'M now disposed to give a pretty tale; Love laughs at what I've sworn and will prevail; Men, gods, and all, his mighty influence know, And full obedience to the urchin show. In future when I celebrate his flame, Expressions not so warm will be my aim; I would not willingly abuses plant, But rather let my writings spirit want. If in these verses I around should twirl, Some wily knave and easy simple girl, 'Tis with intention in the breast to place; On such occasions, dre...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Library Window : A Story of the Seen and Unseen

By: Oliphant, Margaret Oliphant Wilson, 1828-1897

I WAS not aware at first of the many discussions which had gone on about that window. It was almost opposite one of the windows of the large old-fashioned drawing-room of the house in which I spent that summer, which was of so much importance in my life. Our house and the library were on opposite sides of the broad High Street of St Rule's, which is a fine street, wide and ample, and very quiet, as strangers think who come from noisier places; but in a summer evening the...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Saga of Grettir the Strong

There was a man named Onund, the son of Ofeig Clumsyfoot, who was the son of Ivar Horsetail. Onund was the brother of Gudbjorg, the mother of Gudbrand Knob, the father of Asta, the mother of King Olaf the Saint. His mother came from the Upplands, while his father's relations were mostly in Rogaland and Hordland. He was a great viking and used to harry away in the West over the sea. He was accompanied on these expeditions by one Balki, the son of Blaeing from Sotanes, and...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The World of Ice

By: R.M. Ballantyne

Excerpt: Chapter One. Some of the dramatis personae Introduced Retrospective Glances Causes of Future Effects Our Hero?s Early Life at Sea A Pirate A Terrible Fight and its Consequences Buzzby?s Helm Lashed Amidships A Whaling Cruise Begun. Nobody ever caught John Buzzby asleep by any chance whatever. No weasel was ever half so sensitive on that point as he was. Wherever he happened to be (and in the course of his adventurous life he had been to nearly all parts of the k...

Read More
  • Cover Image

My Flirtations

By: Ella Hepworth Dixon

Excerpt: Chapter One. The first one the very first one? Well, I think it was a sallow, under?sized Italian with handsome ox?eyes, who used to give us violin lessons; or else it was a cousin, a boy with sandy hair, who stammered, and who was reading for the army; but, no, I rather think it was the anxious young doctor, who came when I had the measles anyhow, he, the primeval one, is lost in the mists of antiquity... A great many people come to our house, and they have alw...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Old French Romances

By: William Morris

Introduction: Many of us have first found our way into the Realm of Romance, properly so called, through the pages of a little crimson clad volume of the Bibliotheque Elzevirienne. {1} Its last pages contain the charming Cante?Fable of Aucassin et Nicolete, which Mr. Walter Pater?s praises and Mr. Andrew Lang?s brilliant version have made familiar to all lovers of letters. But the same volume contains four other tales, equally charming in their way, which Mr. William Mor...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Breitmann Ballads

By: Charles G. Leland

Though twenty years have passed since the first appearance of the Breitmann Ballads in a collected form, the author is deeply gratified -- and not less sincerely grateful to the public -- in knowing that Hans still lives in many memories, that he continues to be quoted when writers wish to illustrate an exuberantly joyous barty or ladies so very fashionably dressed as to recall de maidens mit nodings on, and that no inconsiderable number of those who are beginning German...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Life of a Ship

By: R.M. Ballantyne

Excerpt: Oh! I love the great blue ocean, I love the whistling breeze, When the gallant ship sweeps lightly Across the surging seas. I watched my first ship building; I saw her timbers rise, Until her masts were towering Up in the bright blue skies.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Guest's Confession

By: Henry James

The telegrammatic brevity of my step-brother's missive gave that melancholy turn to my thoughts which was the usual result of his communications. He was to have come on the Friday; what had made him start off on Wednesday? The terms on which we stood were a perpetual source of irritation. We were utterly unlike in temper and taste and opinions, and yet, having a number of common interests, we were obliged, after a fashion, to compromise with each other's idiosyncrasies. ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Water-Witch, Volume 1

By: James Fenimore Cooper

Christendom is gradually extricating itself from the ignorance, ferocity, and crimes of the middle ages. It is no longer subject of boast, that the hand which wields the sword, never held a pen, and men have long since ceased to be ashamed of knowledge. The multiplied means of imparting principles and facts, and a more general diffusion of intelligence, have conduced to establish sounder ethics and juster practices, throughout the whole civilized world. Thus, he who admi...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Voice

By: Maxwell Grant

Excerpt: EARLY darkness gripped the street that fronted the old Glenmore Building. The increasing gloom had an unnatural touch that worried late workers coming from their offices. Not yet six o?clock yet the street had an encroaching pall that belonged with midnight! People didn?t pause to reason that the days were short at this season of the year; that heavy clouds had smothered the sunset, bringing this premature twilight to Manhattan. Instead, they shuffled hastily to...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Lilac Sunbonnet

By: S. R. Crockett

As Ralph Peden came along the dusty Cairn Edward road from the coach which had set him down there on its way to the Ferry town, he paused to rest in the evening light at the head of the Long Wood of Larbrax. Here, under boughs that arched the way, he took from his shoulders his knapsack, filled with Hebrew and Greek books, and rested his head on the larger bag of roughly tanned Westland leather, in which were all his other belongings. They were not numerous. He might, in...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Eternal Me

By: Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Excerpt: WHAT an exceeding rest ?twill be When I can leave off being Me! To think of it!?at last be rid Of all the things I ever did! Done with the varying distress Of retroactive consciousness! Set free to feel the joy unknown Of Life and Love beyond my own! Why should I long to have John Smith Eternally to struggle with? I'm John?but somehow cherubim Seem quite incongruous with him. It would not seem so queer to dwell Eternally John Smith in Hell. To be one man forever...

Read More

|
|
Records: 1 - 20 of 45 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.