World Library  

Other People Who Read Letters from the Cape Also Read

• Cover Image

The Aspern Papers

By: Henry James

Excerpt: I had taken Mrs. Prest into my confidence; in truth without her I should have made but little advance, for the fruitful idea in the whole business dropped from her friendly lips. It was she who invented the short cut, who severed the Gordian knot. It is not supposed to be the nature of women to rise as a general thing to the largest and most liberal view ? I mean of a practical scheme; but it has struck me that they sometimes throw off a bold conception ? such a...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Braid Claith

By: Robert Fergusson

Excerpt: Ye wha are fain to hae your name Wrote in the bonny book of fame, Let merit nae pretension claim To laurel?d wreath, But hap ye weel, baith back and wame, In gude Braid Claith. He that some ells o? this may fa, An? slae?black hat on pow like snaw, Bids bauld to bear the gree awa?, Wi? a? this graith, Whan bienly clad wi? shell fu? braw O? gude Braid Claith. Waesuck for him wha has na fek o't! For he?s a gowk they're sure to geck at, A chiel that ne?er will be re...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Portent and Other Stories

By: George Macdonald

Excerpt: THE PORTENT A STORY OF THE INNER VISION OF THE HIGHLANDERS, COMMONLY CALLED The SECOND SIGHT DEDICATION. MY DEAR SIR, KENSINGTON, May, 1864. Allow me, with the honour due to my father?s friend, to inscribe this little volume with your name. The name of one friend is better than those of all the Muses. And permit me to say a few words about the story. It is a Romance. I am well aware that, with many readers, this epithet will be enough to ensure condemnation. But...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Pilgrim's Progress in Words of One Syllable

By: Mary Godolphin

Preface: In offering to the public another volume on my plan of reducing popular tales into words of One Syllable exclusively, I wish it to be clearly understood that it is intended for Adult Beginners, no less than for Children. There is a large class of persons who do not begin to acquire the art of reading till somewhat late in life, and it is for such that I think a book of this Character is peculiarly applicable. It may be objected that my system involves the use of...

Read More
  • Cover Image

London in 1731

By: Don Manoel Gonzales

Introduction: Don Manoel Gonzales is the assumed name of the writer of a ?Voyage to Great Britain, containing an Account of England and Scotland,? which was first printed in the first of the two folio volumes of ?A Collection of Voyages and Travels, compiled from the Library of the Earl of Oxford? (Robert Harley, who died in 1724, but whose industry in collection was continued by his son Edward, the second Earl), ?interspersed and illustrated with Notes.? These volumes, ...

Read More

|
|
Records: 41 - 45 of 45 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.