World Library  

• Cover Image

The Theory of Political Economy

By: William Stanley Jevons

Economic Theory Literature

Excerpt: In writing the Preface to the fourth edition of the Theory of Political Economy I ventured to predict that it would be the last. That edition was in fact exhausted a few years ago; but Messrs. Macmillan were unable to see their way to reprint the book. I was glad therefore to have an offer from the representative of an American firm to bring out a new edition, for there is a continuing demand for the Theory, which has found a lace amongst the economic classics of the nineteenth century.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Principles of Political Economy

By: William Roscher

Excerpt: CHAPTER I. The idea covered by the word receipts (Einmhme) embraces all the new additions successively made to one's resources within a given period of time.' Income, on the other hand, embraces only such receipts as are the results of economic activity. (See $8 2, 11.) Produce (Ertrag, produit) is income, but not from the point of view of the person or subject engaged in a business of any kind, but from that of the business itself, or of the object with which t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Theory of International Values

Excerpt: I. INTERNATIONAL meaning in plain English trade between nations, it is not surprising that the term should mean something else in Political Economy. In technical usage international is distinguished from home trade by the existence of barriers which prevent owners of the means of production in one region -or, more generally, sphere of industry-from employing those means in another sphere. Or is it easier to say that home trade is distinguished from international...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Six Lectures on Political Economy

By: W. Whewell

Excerpt: TO HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCE OF WALES. I was deeply sensible of the honour of having to deliver the following Lectures to your Royal Highness by the direction of your illustrious Father upon whose virtues and wisdom I look back with a veneration which I cannot express.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Essays on Some Unsettled Questions of Political Economy

By: John Stuart Mill

Excerpt: Preface to the First Edition. Of these Essays, which were written in 1829 and 1830, the fifth alone has been previously printed. The other four have hitherto remained in manuscript, because, during the temporary suspension of public interest in the species of discussion to which they belong, there was no inducement to their publication. They are now published (with a few merely verbal alterations) under the impression that the controversies excited by Colonel To...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Principles of Political Economy

By: William Roscher

Excerpt: TRANSLATOR'S PREFACE. OUR literature is rich enough in works on the principles of Political Economy. So far as the translator is informed, however, it possesses none in which the science is treated in accordance with the historical method. We may therefore venture to express the hope that this translation will fill a place hitherto unoccupied in the literatures of England and America, and fill it all the more efficiently and acceptably, as Professor ROSCHER is t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Economic Cycles : Their Law and Cause

By: Henry Ludwell Moore

Excerpt: CHAPTER I. INTRODUCTION: THERE is a considerable unanimity of opinion among experts that, from the purely economic point of view, the most general and characteristic phenomenon of a changing society is the ebb and flow of economic life, the alternation of energetic, buoyant activity with a spiritless, depressed and uncertain drifting. During the creative period of the rhythmic change each factor in production receives an augmenting income, and the mutual adjustm...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Chapters in Political Economy

By: Bolles, Albert Sidney, 1846-1939
Read More
  • Cover Image

American Political Economy : Including Strictures on the Managemen...

By: Francis Bowen
Read More
  • Cover Image

Nobel Prize-Winning Economist Oral History Transcript

By: Hayek, Friedrich A. Von (Friedrich August), 1899-1992, Interviewee; Craver, Earlene, Interviewer; Pacific Academy of Advanced Studies; University of California, Los Angeles. Oral History Program

Transcript of a 15.25-hour interview completed under the auspices of the UCLA Oral History Program and the Pacific Academy of Advanced Studies; Hayek discusses with Craver and eight other interviewers his early years and education in Austria; his studies in law, economics, psychology, and political science; teaching at the London School of Economics; and his many publications, including The road to serfdom; The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley; Politi...

Additional Subjects: Austrian school of economics; Hayek, Friedrich A. von (Friedrich August), 1899-1992; Keynes, John Maynard, 1883-1946; Von Mises, Ludwig, 1881-1973; Economic policy; Rule of law

Read More
  • Cover Image

Speculations from Political Economy

By: C.B. Clarke

Introduction: The following nine articles are ?Speculations,? by no means altogether recommendations. They are from Political Economy, i.e. they have nearly all of them been suggested by considering mere propositions of Political Economy. Some of them are old, or given me by friends: some are, I believe, new: these many persons will set aside as unpractical or impracticable, as that is the approved word by which people indicate that an idea is new to them. The topics of ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Principles of Political Economy, Considered with a View to Their P...

By: Malthus, T. R. (Thomas Robert), 1766-1834

Economics

Read More
  • Cover Image

Unto This Last and Other Essays on Art and Political Economy

By: Ruskin, John, 1819-1900
Read More
  • Cover Image

Economic Cycles : Their Law and Cause

By: Henry Ludwell Moore

Excerpt: CHAPTER I INTRODUCTION: THERE is a considerable unanimity of opinion among experts that, from the purely economic point of view, the most general and characteristic phenomenon of a changing society is the ebb and flow of economic life, the alternation of energetic, buoyant activity with a spiritless, depressed and uncertain drifting. ~ u r i n gth e creative period of the rhythmic change each factor in production receives an augmenting income, and the mutual adj...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Unto This Last; Four Essays on the First Principles of Political E...

By: Ruskin, John, 1819-1900
Read More
  • Cover Image

Legal Corruption : Second Draft October 2005

By: Daniel Kaufmann

Economics

Introduction: Corruption has been brought throughout the last decade to an important position in the development and political economy debate/literature. It has been seen as a primary impediment to growth (e.g. Mauro, 1995, Kaufmann and Kraay, 2002), with dramatic consequences in the developing world. This analysis has been mainly founded on bureaucratic/public sector corruption, emphasizing in particular manifestations such as administrative bribery. This highlighting r...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Lords of Industry Henry Demarest Lloyd

Excerpt: I. The Story of a Great Monopoly. When Commodore Vanderbilt began the world he had nothing, and there were no steamboats or railroads. He was thirty-five years old when the first locomotive was put into use in America. When he died, railroads had become the greatest force in modern industry, and Vanderbilt was the richest man of Europe or America, and the largest owner of railroads in the world. He used the finest business brain of his day and the franchise of t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Definitions in Political Economy : Preceded by an Inquiry into the...

By: Thomas Robert Malthus
Read More
  • Cover Image

Corruption, Public Finances and the Unofficial Economy

By: Simon Johnson

Economics

The study of unofficial actives in the development field was typically done from a labor market perspective (Todaro, Tokman and many others), stressing the labor market regulatory regime in understanding the evolution of the informal sector. This ?sectorO was traditionally studied independently of the dynamics of the overall economy. Alternatively, we can take a political economy perspective, asking what motivates politicians to exercise certain rights on enterprises, an...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Income Distribution and Development

By: Ravi Kanbur

Economics

In the face of possible short and long run distributive consequences of alternative growth policies, and theoretical and empirical argument that equitable distribution of assets, in particular, can be the foundation of economic growth, a considerable literature had developed on distributive policies. In this section, we will focus on policies towards land, towards education, and on the role of transfers and the targeting of policies towards the poor. The distribution of ...

Read More

|
|
Records: 21 - 40 of 45 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.