World Library  

History (333 Books)

Historical Non-fiction

• Cover Image

The Early Mapping of Hawai'I

By: Gary L. Fitzpatrick

The cartographic history of Hawaii began with the arrival of Captain James Cook, the famous explorer and chartmaker, in 1778. Between then and the mid-19th century, visitors to HawaiI produced a rich assortment of charts and maps depicting the shores, harbors, towns, and volcanoes of the various islands. This volume traces the story of the mapping of HawaiI during the pivotal years in which the indigenous society was radically transformed by the peoples and ideas imp...

The Early Mapping of Hawaii is an overview of the history of the mapping of Hawaii from the time of European discovery in 1778 through the mid-19th century. Mapmaking was not an art indigenous to Hawaii; foreigners were responsible for the introduction of mapmaking in the islands. For well over seventy years, mapping in Hawaii was largely carried out by Europeans or Americans, and the early maps of Hawaii were mostly made to serve the needs of those foreigners.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Malabar Manual : Sample pages

By: William Logan; VED from Victoria Institutions, Compiler

William Logan's Malabar is popularly known as ‘Malabar Manual’. It is a huge book of more than 500,000 words. It might not be possible for a casual reader to imbibe all the minute bits of information from this book. However, in this commentary of mine, I have tried to insert a lot of such bits and pieces of information, by directly quoting the lines from ‘Malabar’. On these quoted lines, I have built up a lot of arguments, and also added a lot of explanations and int...

My aim First of all, I would like to place on record what my interest in this book is. I do not have any great interest in the minor details of Malabar or Travancore. Nor about the various castes and their aspirations, claims and counterclaims. My interest is basically connected to my interest in the English colonial rule in the South Asian Subcontinent and elsewhere. I would quite categorically mention that it is ‘English colonialism’ and not British Colonialism ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Cold War from the Standpoints of Its Victims

By: Eqbal Ahmad

Eqbal Ahmad (1933/34 - 1999) joined the National Liberation Front and worked with Frantz Fanon, was indicted with the anti-war Catholic priests, Daniel and Phillip Berrigan, along with four other Catholic pacifists, on charges of conspiracy to kidnap Henry Kissinger (it was a mistrial), and wrote prolifically as a journalist and political theorist. This talk was delivered in 1991

Read More
  • Cover Image

Testimony of Ismael Guadalupe Ortiz on Vieques, Puerto Rico

By: Ismael Guadalupe Ortiz

Testimony of Ismael Guadalupe Ortiz on Vieques, Puerto Rico (October 2. 1979). Text first printed in Spanish in Arturo Metendez Lopez, La Batalla de Vieques (Bavamdn, Puerto Rico: COPEC. 1982). Translation courtesy of Ismael Guadalupe Ortiz,

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Struggle Goes On

By: Walter Rodney

This address by Rodney was made in September 1979, at a street corner in Georgetown. It says something of the crisis of neocolonial rule in Guyana then, and of Rodney and the Working People's Alliance (W.P.A.) struggle against such rule. Rodney would be assassinated in less than a year.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Chicago Boys in Chile : Economic Freedom's Awful Toll: Economi...

By: Orlando Letelier

Repression for the majorities and “economic freedom” for small privileged groups are two sides of the same coin.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Street Speech

A street speech in Guyana by Walter Rodney arguing against racial antagonism and explaining its role in the functioning of capitalism. Note: It is important to understand that the following comments were made specifically in the context of the Guyanese situation.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Walter Rodney Speaks : The Making of an African Intellectual (Sele...

A dialogue held in Amherst, MA where Rodney discussed his own political and intellectual development, and exchanged views on the role of the black intellectual.

Read More
  • Cover Image

A Bicentennial Without a Puerto Rican Colony

By: Piri Thomas

Published in The Crisis, December 1975. As the United States prepared to celebrate the Bicentennial of the American revolution of 1776, anti-imperialists sought to call the nation back to its anti-colonial routes. A focus of many activists was the continuing U.S. control of the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico, which the U.S. has occupied since 1898.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Victor : An Unfinished Song (Three Chapters): An Unfinished Song (...

By: Joan Jara

Written by his wife, this book tells of the life and times of Chilean folksinger Victor Jara, murdered in 1973 by the military after having worked to bring Salvador Allende into power and democracy to his country.

Read More
  • Cover Image

A Fundamental Necessity of the Revolution

By: Samora Machel

Excerpts from the Opening Speech of the First Conference of Mozambican Women by Samora Moises Machel, president of FRELIMO, on March 4, 1973. Translated from Portuguese.

Read More
  • Cover Image

George Jackson : Black Revolutionary: Black Revolutionary

George Jackson also authored Blood In My Eye which was published posthumously, or after this article was written.

Read More
  • Cover Image

National Liberation and Culture

By: Amilcar Cabral

This text was originally delivered on February 20, 1970; as part of the Eduardo Mondlane (1) Memorial Lecture Series at Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, under the auspices of The Program of Eastern African Studies. It was translated from the French by Maureen Webster.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Alcatraz Proclamation and Letter

By: Indians of All Tribes (IAT)

Alcatraz Proclamation and Letters by Native Americans from November 20, 1969 to June 11, 1971 on Alcatraz Island.

Read More
  • Cover Image

African History in the Service of the Black Liberation

This is a transcription of a lecture given by Walter Rodney on 12 October 1968 at the Congress of Black Writers in Montreal, Canada. The original audiotape of the lecture and the others from the 1968 Congress of Black Writers are in the possession of the Alfie Roberts Institute, Montreal, Canada. They were entrusted to David Austin by the late Alfie Roberts in 1995. Before his untimely death in July 1996, Roberts and Austin were in the process of preparing the speeches f...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Create Two, Three, Many Vietnams : Message to the Tricontinental: ...

By: Ernesto Che Guevara

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Weapon of Theory

By: Amilcar Cabral

Address delivered to the first Tricontinental Conference of the Peoples of Asia, Africa and Latin America held in Havana in January, 1966.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Two Selections by Nelson Mandela

By: Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela's statement from the dock at the opening of the defence case in the Rivonia Trial, Pretoria Supreme Court, 20 April 1964.

Read More
  • Cover Image

"Why do the Yankees hate the Cuban Revolution?" : The Second Decla...

By: Fidel Castro

From Schoultz, Lars. That Infernal Little Cuban Republic : The United States and the Cuban Revolution, University of North Carolina Press, 2009.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Selections from Even the Women Must Fight : Memories of War from N...

By: Karen Gottschang Turner; Phan Thanh Hao

Even the Women Must Fight: Memories of War from North Vietnam is an excellent book detailing the contributions of Vietnamese women fighting for the independencce of their nation. Below is a few selections from the book.

I was born in Thai Binh province. My family were farmers. In 1948 my father was killed in the French War. My mother was with child when he died and she raised us four children alone. In 1968 I volunteered to be a people's soldier, bo doi, and I spent five years in the field during the most terrible time of the war. Why? Four people in my family died when the Americans bombed the Hanoi suburbs. I was angry and I believed that what men could do, I could do too. Life was ha...

Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 1 - 20 of 333 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.