Ballads of a Bohemian

By Service, Robert W. (Robert William)

Click here to view

Book Id: WPLBN0000620736
Format Type: PDF eBook
File Size: 238.79 KB
Reproduction Date: 2005

Title: Ballads of a Bohemian  
Author: Service, Robert W. (Robert William)
Volume:
Language: English
Subject: Literature, Literature & thought, Writing.
Collections: Blackmask Online Collection
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: Blackmask Online

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

Service, R. W. (n.d.). Ballads of a Bohemian. Retrieved from http://community.ebooklibrary.org/

Description
Excerpt: Prelude Alas! upon some starry height, The Gods of Excellence to please, This hand of mine will never smite The Harp of High Serenities. Mere minstrel of the street am I, To whom a careless coin you fling; But who, beneath the bitter sky, Blue?lipped, yet insolent of eye, Can shrill a song of Spring; A song of merry mansard days, The cheery chimney?tops among; Of rolics and of roundelays When we were young ... when we were young; A song of love and lilac nights, Of wit, of wisdom and of wine; Of Folly whirling on the Heights, Of hunger and of hope divine; Of Blanche, Suzette and Celestine, And all that gay and tender band Who shared with us the fat, the lean, The hazard of Illusion?land; When scores of Philistines we slew As mightily with brush and pen We sought to make the world anew, And scorned the gods of other men; When we were fools divinely wise, Who held it rapturous to strive; When Art was sacred in our eyes, And it was Heav'n to be alive.

Table of Contents
Table of Contents: Ballads of a Bohemian, 1 -- Robert W. Service, 1 -- Prelude, 3 -- BOOK ONE. SPRING, 4 -- I, 4 -- My Garret, 5 -- Julot the Apache, 6 -- II, 8 -- L'Escargot D'Or, 9 -- It Is Later Than You Think, 10 -- Noctambule, 12 -- III, 14 -- Insomnia, 15 -- Moon Song, 16 -- The Sewing?Girl, 18 -- IV, 19 -- Lucille, 20 -- On the Boulevard, 22 -- Facility, 25 -- V, 26 -- Golden Days, 26 -- The Joy of Little Things, 27 -- The Absinthe Drinkers, 28 -- BOOK TWO. EARLY SUMMER, 31 -- I, 31 -- The Release, 32 -- The Wee Shop, 33 -- The Philistine and the Bohemian, 35 -- II, 37 -- The Bohemian Dreams, 37 -- A Domestic Tragedy, 39 -- The Pencil Seller, 40 -- III, 44 -- Fi?Fi in Bed, 44 -- Gods in the Gutter, 45 -- The Death of Marie Toro, 46 -- IV, 48 -- The Bohemian, 48 -- The Auction Sale, 50 -- The Joy of Being Poor, 52 -- V, 53 -- My Neighbors, 54 -- Room 4: The Painter Chap, 54 -- Room 6: The Little Workgirl, 56 -- Room 5: The Concert Singer, 57 -- Room 7: The Coco?Fiend, 59 -- BOOK THREE. LATE SUMMER, 62 -- I, 62

Click To View

Additional Books

• The Point of View (by )
  • The Pension Beaurepas (by )
  • The Patagonia (by )
  • The Papers (by )
  • The Papers (by )
  • The Middle Years (by )
  • The Marriages (by )
  • The Liar (by )
  • The Lesson of the Master (by )
  • The Jolly Corner (by )
  • The Great Good Place (by )
  • The Great Condition (by )
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.