Language: English
Subject: Law., Law & economy, Litigation and arbitration
Collections: Law Library Collection
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: Department of Justice

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

Toch, H. (n.d.). Stress in Policing. Retrieved from http://community.ebooklibrary.org/

Description
Legal Reference Publication

Excerpt
Preface: Around Easter of 1983 I was drafted as keynote speaker for a conference on ?Stress and Violence in Criminal Justice.? 1 cannot remember what I said there, but I have somehow rescued three vignettes I deployed in the course of my presentation. One item I used related to an air traffic controller and his family. At this period of time, controllers had appointed themselves poster boys for occupational stress, and they were reaping a harvest of more or less favorable publicity. One newspaper story had attracted my attention. It featured an interview with the wife of a controller, who said that her husband persisted in directing traflic while at home. She specifically complained that ?he sometimes orders us around like he is ordering planes to land.? The wife also reported (with serendipitously felicitous wit) that it was hard for her spouse to ?come down? after he arrived home. The husband acknowledged with appreciation his family?s forbearance and understanding. He said that he recognized the problems he was unwittingly creating, but concluded that understanding the effects of stress (which he said he did) was a far cry from being able to change one?s behavior. He also said that because misery loved company, his group of controllers regularly met to reinforce each others? discontent.

Table of Contents
ABLE OF CONTENTS Preface Acknowledgements Chapter 1: Introduction Chapter 2: Chapter 3: Police Occupational Stress Police Work An Inside View Chapter 4: Chapter 5: Chapter 6: Chapter 7: Chapter 8: Gender, Age, and Family Stress Perceptions of Conflict and Discrimination Data Feedback Sessions Actualization and Stress Critical-Incident Stress Chapter 9: Retrospect Appendix

Click To View

Additional Books

• The Power of Our Words (by )
  • Evaluation of the Dallas Police Departme... (by )
  • Military Law Review Volume 81 (by )
  • Military Law Review Volume 72 (by )
  • Military Law Review Bicentennial Issue (by )
  • Military Law Review (by )
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.