Language: English
Subject: Sacred Texts, Legends & Sagas, Baltic
Collections: Sacred Texts
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: John C. Nimmo

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

F, K. W. (n.d.). The Hero of Esthonia. Retrieved from http://community.ebooklibrary.org/

Description
Description: When I took up the study of the Kalevala and Finnish literature, with the intention of publishing a critical English edition of the poem, on which I am still engaged, the accumulation of the necessary materials led me to examine the literature of the neighbouring countries likewise. I had expected to find the Kalevipoeg an Esthonian variant of the Kalevala; but I found it so dissimilar, and at the same time so interesting, when divested of the tedious and irrelevant matter that has been added to the main story, that I finally decided to publish a full account of it in prose, especially as nothing of the kind has yet been attempted in English, beyond a few casual magazine articles. The Esthonian folk-tales are likewise of much interest, and in many cases of an extremely original character; and these also have never appeared in an English dress. I have, therefore, selected a sufficiently representative series, and have added a few ballads and short poems.

Click To View

Additional Books

• The Earthly Paradise (by )
  • The Key of Gold (by )
  • More Celtic Fairy Tales (by )
  • Myths and Folk-lore of Ireland (by )
  • Erec et Enide (by )
  • Heroic Ballads of Servia (by )
  • Fairy Legends and Traditions (by )
  • Legends and Romances of Spain (by )
  • The Mabinogion (by )
  • The Story of Burnt Njal (by )
  • The Nibelungenlied (by )
  • Wonder Tales from Baltic Wizards (by )
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.