World Library  

QR link for Coastal Measurements of Short-lived Reactive Iodocarbons and Bromocarbons at Roscoff, Brittany During the Rhamble Campaign : Volume 9, Issue 4 (14/08/2009)
Add to Book Shelf
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Book

Coastal Measurements of Short-lived Reactive Iodocarbons and Bromocarbons at Roscoff, Brittany During the Rhamble Campaign : Volume 9, Issue 4 (14/08/2009)

By Jones, C. E.

Click here to view

Book Id: WPLBN0003983412
Format Type: PDF Article :
File Size: Pages 31
Reproduction Date: 2015

Title: Coastal Measurements of Short-lived Reactive Iodocarbons and Bromocarbons at Roscoff, Brittany During the Rhamble Campaign : Volume 9, Issue 4 (14/08/2009)  
Author: Jones, C. E.
Volume: Vol. 9, Issue 4
Language: English
Subject: Science, Atmospheric, Chemistry
Collections: Periodicals: Journal and Magazine Collection, Copernicus GmbH
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: Copernicus Gmbh, Göttingen, Germany
Member Page: Copernicus Publications

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

Carpenter, L. J., Leigh, R. J., Jones, C. E., Dunk, R. M., & Hornsby, K. E. (2009). Coastal Measurements of Short-lived Reactive Iodocarbons and Bromocarbons at Roscoff, Brittany During the Rhamble Campaign : Volume 9, Issue 4 (14/08/2009). Retrieved from http://community.ebooklibrary.org/

Description
Description: Department of Chemistry, University of York, Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, UK. Atmospheric concentrations of the volatile reactive iodocarbons C2H5I, 1-C3H7I, 2-C3H7I, CH2ICl, CH2IBr, CH2I2 and bromocarbons CH2Br2 and CHBr3 were determined by GC/MS analysis of marine boundary layer air at Roscoff, Brittany on the northwest coast of France during September 2006. Comparison with other coastal studies suggests that emissions of these trace gases are strongly influenced by site topography, seaweed populations and distribution, as well as tide height. Concentrations of the very short-lived dihalomethanes CH2IBr and CH2I2 in particular showed evidence of tidal dependence, with higher concentrations observed at low tide during maximum exposure of seaweed beds. We also present a limited number of halocarbon concentrations in surface seawater and estimate sea-air fluxes based on simultaneous water and air measurements of these gases. CH2Br2 and CHBr3 were strongly correlated both in air and in seawater, with CH2Br2/CHBr3 ratios of 0.19 in air and 0.06 in water. The combined midday I atom flux from the photolabile diahlomethanes CH2I2, CH2IBr and CH2ICl of ~5×103 molecules cm−3 s−1 is several orders of magnitude lower than the estimated I atom flux from I2 based on coinciding measurements at the same site, which indicates that at Roscoff the major I atom precursor was I2 rather than reactive iodocarbons.

Summary
Coastal measurements of short-lived reactive iodocarbons and bromocarbons at Roscoff, Brittany during the RHaMBLe campaign

Excerpt
Barnes, B.: Coast and shore, a nature guide. The Crowood Press, Marlborough, UK, 1986.; Bilde, M., Wallington, T. J., Ferronato, C., Orlando, J. J., Tyndall, G. S., Estupinan, E., and Haberkorn, S.: Atmospheric chemistry of CH2BrCl, CHBrCl2, CHBr2Cl, CF3CHBrCl, and CBr2Cl2, J. Phys. Chem. A, 102, 1976–1986, 1998.; Bloss, W. J., Lee, J. D., Johnson, G. P., Sommariva, R., Heard, D. E., Saiz-Lopez, A., Plane, J. M. C., McFiggans, G., Coe, H., Flynn, M., Williams, P., Rickard, A. R., and Fleming, Z. L.: Impact of halogen monoxide chemistry upon boundary layer OH and HO2 concentrations at a coastal site, Geophys. Res. Lett., 32(6), L06814, doi:10.1029/2004GL022084, 2005.; Butler, J. H., King, D. B., Lobert, J. M., Montzka, S. A., Yvon-Lewis, S. A., Hall, B. D., Warwick, N. J., Mondeel, D. J., Aydin, M., and Elkins, J. W.: Oceanic distributions and emissions of short-lived halocarbons, Global Biogeochem. Cy., 21(1), GB1023, doi:10.1029/2006GB002732, 2007.; Carpenter, L. J., Sturges, W. T., Penkett, S. A., Liss, P. S., Alicke, B., Hebestreit, K., and Platt, U.: Short-lived alkyl iodides and bromides at Mace Head, Ireland: Links to biogenic sources and halogen oxide production, J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos., 104, 1679–1689, 1999.; Carpenter, L. J., Malin, G., Liss, P. S., and Kupper, F. C.: Novel biogenic iodine-containing trihalomethanes and other short-lived halocarbons in the coastal East Atlantic, Global Biogeochem. Cy., 14(4), 1191–1204, 2000.; Carpenter, L. J. and Liss, P. S.: On temperate sources of bromoform and other reactive organic bromine gases, J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos., 105(D16), 20539–20547, 2000.; Carpenter, L. J., Liss, P. S., and Penkett, S. A.: Marine organohalogens in the atmosphere over the Atlantic and Southern Oceans, J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos., 108(D9), 4256, doi:10.1029/2002JD002769, 2003.; Carpenter, L. J.: Iodine in the Marine Boundary Layer, Chem. Rev., 103(12), 4953–4962, 2003.; Carpenter, L. J., Jones, C. E., Dunk, R. M., Hornsby, K. E., and Woeltjen, J.: Air-sea fluxes of biogenic bromine from the tropical and North Atlantic Ocean, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 9, 1805–1816, 2009.; Hornsby, K. E., Flynn, M. J., Dorsey, J. R., Gallagher, M. W., Chance, R., Jones, C. E., and Carpenter, L. J.: A Relaxed Eddy Accumulation (REA)-GC/MS system for the determination of halocarbon fluxes, Atmos. Meas. Tech. Discuss., 2, 951–980, 2009.; Jones, C. E. and Carpenter, L. J.: Solar photolysis of CH2I2, CH2ICI, and CH2IBr in water, saltwater, and seawater, Environ. Sci. Technol., 39(16), 6130–6137, doi:10.1021/es050563g, 2005.; Jones, C. E. and Carpenter, L. J.: Solar photolysis of CH2I2, CH2ICI, and CH2IBr in water, saltwater, and seawater, Environ. Sci. Technol., 40(4), 1372, doi:10.1021/es058022e, 2006.; Khalil, M. A. and Rasmussen, R. A.: Atmospheric chloroform, Atmos. Environ., 33(7), 1151–1158, 1999.; Klick, S.: Seasonal variations of biogenic and anthropogenic halocarbons in seawater from a coastal site, Limnol. Oceanogr., 37(7), 1579–1585, 1992.; Küpper, F. C., Schweigert, N., Gall, E. A., Legendre, J. M., Vilter, H., and Kloareg, B: Iodine uptake in Laminariales involves extracellular, haloperoxidase-mediated oxidation of iodide, Planta, 207(2), 163–171, 1998.; Laturnus, F.: Volatile halocarbons released from Arctic macroalgae, Mar. Chem., 55, 359–366, 1996.; Küpper, F. C., Carpenter, L. J., McFiggans, G. B., Palmer, C. J., Waite, T. J., Boneberg, E. M., Woitsch, S., Weiller, M., Abela, R., Grolimund, D., Potin, P., Butler, A., Luther, G. W., Kroneck, P. M. H., Meyer-Klaucke, W., and Feiters, M. C.: Iodide accumulation provides kelp with an inorganic antioxidant impacting atmospheric chemistry, P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 105(19), 6954–6958

Click To View

Additional Books

• Characteristics of Concentrations and Ch... (by )
  • Coastal and Open Ocean Aerosol Character... (by )
  • Decadal Record of Satellite Carbon Monox... (by )
  • Joint Spatial Variability of Aerosol, Cl... (by )
  • Observations of the Effects of Temperatu... (by )
  • A Climatology of the Diurnal Variations ... (by )
  • Comparison of the Diurnal Variations of ... (by )
  • Impact of Tropical Land Convection on th... (by )
  • Smoke Aerosol Properties and Ageing Effe... (by )
  • A Computationally Efficient Inorganic At... (by )
  • The Direct Radiative Effect of Biomass B... (by )
  • Effects of the Physical State of Troposp... (by )
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.